Wednesday, April 11, 2007

GONE


Ted Miller is dead. I can hardly believe it. He and I had known each other since before the cradle; his parents and mine used to go out on the town together before either of us were born.

Ted had a greater positive effect on my life and character than anyone I've ever known except my wife. He introduced me to most of the art and literature that was my greatest solace during the hell of my adolescence: R. Crumb, Boris Artzybasheff, George Herriman, Carl Barks, Arthur Rimbaud, Henry Miller, Alfred Jarry, Howlin' Wolf, Fats Waller, Billie Holiday, John Lee Hooker, Wallace Stevens, Vachel Lindsay... get the picture? I shudder to think what my life would have been without his influence.

He had genius and charisma, style and grace, a good heart and an old soul. He plunged into life and explored it with intelligence and enthusiasm while I stood blinking on the shore, and he was eager to share his discoveries.

Our friendship was tumultuous and there were gaps of years when we did not talk; my fault entirely. O well. After the most recent gap of 20 years we re-established contact a year and a half ago, and our friendship was renewed. You have no idea how glad I am about that.

When we were teenagers we had a little ritual: when one of us would phone the other the caller would sing the opening line of a Buster Brown Shoes commercial jingle. The answerer would sing the next line, and in this way we would sing the entire stupid thing. For the past year I kept meaning to call him and surprise him with that opening line, but I never did.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rendall said...

My condolences, Jim. I can't imagine losing my best childhood friend.

6:15 PM  
Blogger glyphjockey said...

Feel better, maybe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stv1mzI16nU

9:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Kevin, my best friend, and I went to the flea market one day and bought two giant (32 oz.!)glass mugs. We said that these would make fine vessels for an afternoon beer party.
Kevin died before we ever got a chance to drink those beers. His parents gave me his mug.

I'm crying

6:43 AM  
Blogger Matt Tamaru said...

I have a feeling that every thing you create has a part of Ted reverberating within in it.

We all care a great deal about you Jim.

My heart says that Ted can't wait to share some brand new discoveries.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Richard Franklin said...

Please accept my sincere condolences Jim; our thoughts are with you. And thanks so much for sharing Ted with us.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Buy Wow Gold said...

WOW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold - Buy WOW gold at our shop, fast delivery of WoW gold and unbeatable prices make us so popular within the World of Warcraft community!

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Buy WoW Account said...

Good post

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home