Wednesday, April 02, 2008

JUSTIN GREEN EXHIBITION!


















Anyone who knows anything knows that Justin Green is one of the greatest cartoonists our species has produced. R. Crumb, Bill Griffith, art spiegelman and innumerable other acknowledged masters hail him. His seminal autobiographical work Binky Brown Meets The Holy Virgin Mary is regarded by many, including yours truly, as the greatest single "comic book" ever created.

As luck would have it there is an exhibition right now of Mr. Green's endlessly discussed but seldom seen original art at Cincinnati's SHAKE IT RECORDS (by all accounts one of the best record stores in America); 4156 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati OH 45223. In addition to drawings and paintings, signed prints are available! These include the great image above ($32.50 plus shipping) and a swell silkscreened show poster featuring Mr. Green's beloved Perpetual Calendar ($35 + shipping).

So what are you waiting for!? Email Joe Kuth joe@shakeitrecords.com to get the lowdown on this harmonic convergence of genius and commerce. You'll be damn glad you did!

3 Comments:

Blogger glyphjockey said...

Wow! I remember seeing a sign outside of a tobacco shop next to the Argent Hotel in San Francisco that I knew was him during his period of dormancy (prior to those great music pieces he did in Pulse!. I once called a Bay Area Justin Green from the phone book just to give praise, but it was somebody who said they frequently got calls for him but that they were not him.

The guy has an ability to suggest people, objects and mise en scene compellingly with ink that doesn't seem to have any individual intent.

Plus, can anybody capture the human condition better?

I travel for work - who knows?

5:34 AM  
Blogger Heidi Bennett said...

I used to live in Sacramento and he was a frequent customer at several of the coffee houses I managed. He even painted the menu lettering at one of them. We struck up a music related friendship and he turned me on to Lil Green. I'm a singer and was honored he came to hear me perform. I really miss him...haven't seen him in years!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I haven't seen him since the 70's, and always thought he was a special talent with a great sense of humor. In fact I used to have a crush on him.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home