Saturday, April 26, 2008


     We don't usually do this sort of thing around here, but I feel I owe it to Wyllis Cooper and Ernest Chappell to hoist a dry one to QUIET,PLEASE, their phenomenally wide-ranging radio series. Cooper wrote and directed every episode, and Chappell was the main and often the solo voice actor.  Personally I think it's the greatest thing of its kind ever achieved; and its kind includes SUSPENSE, THE WHISTLER, and LIGHTS OUT. 
     The link above will take you to a site where you can listen to all available episodes; for what it's worth # 88 is my all-time favorite radio show ever.


Blogger Robert Boyd said...

Even better than Joe Frank?!!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Thanks for the link -- I'm an old radio goof and I listen to a lot of programs while working. I often just put WNAR on -

It's a small station in PA that went online a few years ago to expand its audience (it can only broadcast for a mile or five). 24 hr-a-day OTR. A lot of the old horror and crime series, and radio oddities from Canada and South Africa, as well as straggler shows from the post-Golden Age, 70's reworkings of Lights Out (CBS Mystery Theater) and the like. They play The Creaking Door (Canadian version) as well. Fun stuff. I'll shut up now.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Jim Woodring said...

Hiya Robert-

On the whole I think QUIET, PLEASE is a more impressive achievement than Joe Frank's work (which as you know I love dearly). Every QP episode is written and directed by Cooper alone; JF had/has collaborative help with many of his productions.

I think the QP stories are more varied in their settings, characters and emotional tones; and they simultaneously embrace, play off of and avoid the clichés and conventions of the genre in a way that is astonishing. There is a huge amount of originality in these stories.

Also, Cooper does more with less; a few voices, a piano, and an organ are usually all there is. And the QP stories are limited by a half-hour duration and the cultural and commercial restrictions of the day (the late 40's), compared to JF's relative artistic and technical freedom.

But as I say, I love them both.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh the MP3 compression on that site is terrible! I know it was AM radio to begin with.. but even AM deserves more fidelity than the recordings on that site..! Agh! Neat stuff, though, says a 36 year old man in Portland.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Whew! That is pretty intense. Tread carefully.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Matt Sheridan said...

I've got about 33 hours' worth of Quiet, Please episodes on this computer, and I am at work. I love that show. Lights Out is pretty great, too (and no surprise, as it's another Wyllis Cooper creation).

You know, I believe I actually haven't heard #88--"Where Do You Get Your Ideas?"--yet. I think I'll check that out today.

I wish to God someone could explain "Adam and the Darkest Day" to me. The more I think about that one, the less sense it makes. But, God, the atmosphere is great.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Peter F. Bernard, Jr. said...

My favorite is #60, the Thing on the Fourble Board. Northern Lights is great too.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Homesure Services said...

I think the QP stories are more varied in their settings, characters and emotional tones.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous 2010 Kia Sedona parts said...

Thanks for the link -- I'm an old radio goof and I listen to a lot of programs while working.

6:27 AM  
Blogger ChrisAndTommy said...

Beezer's celler is amazing ....creepy as all hell

5:02 PM  
Blogger Bima Sena said...

cara menghilangkan kutil pada kemaluan pria
cara menghilangkan kutil pada kemaluan secara alami
obat tradisional kutil kelamin
obat tradisional buat kutil kelamin
Mengobati kutil kelamin dengan obat tradisional
obat tradisional menyembuhkan kutil kelamin
obat tradisional untuk kutil kelamin
cara menyembuhkan kutil pada kemaluan
obat alami menghilangkan kutil kelamin
mengobati kutil kelamin dengan obat tradisional
obat alami menyembuhkan kutil kelamin
obat kutil kelamin tanpa operasi
Cara mengobati kutil secara alami
cara mengobati kutil di kemaluan wanita
obat paling ampuh untuk menghilangkan kutil

9:21 PM  
Blogger Maz Teguh said...

situs poker online indonesia terpercaya
agen judi poker uang asli indonesia
Agen Judi Poker Dan Domino Online Terpercaya Uang Asli Indonesia

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home