Saturday, January 29, 2011

JOHN

If you didn't know him you can't imagine what he was like; and if you did know him you can't explain him. Either way, the great spirit which temporarily took the form of John Dorman has seen fit to depart this life, presumably for a realm more suited to his capacity. John had an utterly unique personality which manifested itself in the most amazing actions, words and art. One of these days I'll try to capture in words some of the numberless escapades he sprang upon a world that was never prepared for him. For now, just the cold hard fact of the hole he's left in the fabric of reality. I've known a lot of amazing people but he was the most amazing. You really have to hand it to the mother of the universe for creating a guy like that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kerry Dennehy said...

I'm am sorry for your loss and for the loss of this extraordinary person in your life. Your grief marks and honors the love you shared and the admiration you felt.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous buzz said...

This news breaks my heart. John was a wild man, but God how I loved him.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ted Blackman said...

I kind of lost contact with John in the last 10 years, but Jim Smith would keep me up to date on his whereabouts. Tom Minton emailed me this morning about the sad news of his passing, I didn't see that coming at all.

John was a unique and generous friend to me. The last time I saw him I stumbled up to his door unannounced after having a few too many, and he invited me in and offered me food and drink. I'll always remember that night because I found comfort in his friendship. I was going through relationship withdrawals and his experienced wisdom eased my pain a lot.

I'll miss him, and will always be one of John's L.A. Bastards, in this life and the next. -Ted

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Tim said...

A shock to me, and I never met him. I've only recently heard stories from you, Jim, about him, and they quickly became some of my favorite stories to tell.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Ted Blackman said...

John's service today was about an hour long, with approximately 100 people showing up. It was hilarious, with about 15 people getting up to tell stories about their experiences with him. Both Joe Ruby and Ken Spears were there. Glad I went. -Ted

8:07 PM  
Blogger Lasky said...

I'm only just now hearing the news. So sorry for your loss, Jim.

While I never met John, I did hear some of your stories, and understood that he burned brighter than most.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home